I was so happy the day I married my husband. We were all sparkling eyes and loving hearts. We swore to be together forever and we meant it.
Cut to 11 years later. We hardly ever talk or see each other. Silent anger is between us all the time. We never spend family time together. I am always suspicious that he is cheating, he always complains and nothing I do is good enough. My children notice this and seem so sad.
When Things Look Hopeless
Things look hopeless and divorce is definitely lurking around. How could this have happened to us? What did I do wrong? Who is to blame? How can I save my marriage from divorce?
As these questions took hold of my thoughts and depression slowly took over me, I decided not to give up. I started looking for help because I knew we can’t survive this marriage crisis alone.
After a long search and a many mistakes (mainly due to questionable advice on the internet), I finally found the last relationship advice book I’ll ever read. Implementing the exact steps given to me in this book literally saved my marriage.
How to Save a Marriage From Divorce
I want to share 3 effective ways to save your marriage – All of them taken from This Book. I hope it helps you as it did me:
1. Stop Asking
The most common mistake we make is to look for what is wrong and how to fix it. Why can’t we get things right again? why can’t we get back to the way we used to be? Why did he cheat on me?
Focusing on the weak spots in your marriage is completely normal, we all do that instinctively. But focusing on the bad things…makes things bad. It will only make you feel despaired
So, what’s the uncommon way to deal with this?
1. Focus on the positive aspects of your marriage. Take a trip down memory lane: try to remember happy times, loving moments that you shared together. Look at pictures of you on a trip together, smiling and touching. Look at your wedding photos and let the memories flood your mind. Enjoy them.
2. Remember why he became your best friend. Is he the only one that knows your deepest fear because he’s the only one you’ve shared it with? Does he have the same sense of humor as you? Write down all the qualities of your spouse and your marriage. This will remind you the foundation of your marriage and how you can be happy together again.
2. Cool That Fire
When your marriage is in crisis, anger becomes your companion. How many times have you experienced feeling boiled over in rage over something your spouse said or did? How many times have you responded angrily at how irresponsible he has behaved?
Feeling angry is understandable, and venting your anger can even strengthen your communication. But acting angry will only make things worse and cause more problems than you started out with. So, what’s the uncommon way to deal with this?
1. Identify your anger point – Identify the point when you start to get angry. That point exists and if you stop and think for a second – you will find it.
Now – consciously decide to respond without the anger. Express your feelings. Start with “I am angry because I feel…” instead of “I am angry because YOU…”
2. Change your approach – Before telling him off, remind yourself that you are talking to your best friend, not your enemy. Only then start talking.
3. The Critical Ingredient In Saving Your Marriage
The critical ingredient in how to save marriage from divorce is… getting HELP.
You can’t do this alone and you can’t do this with only your spouse and some random advice from your girlfriends. You need professional help.
You don’t even have to run and schedule your first marriage counseling session right now. Just take a baby step – Read a marriage help book like the one that has helped me so much.
Follow the advice, step by baby-step, and I’m sure that before long, you’ll wake up in the morning and discover you are still married and your relationship is better than it ever was.
Saving your marriage from divorce is in your hands. Be smart, not right. Start now, not later. One step at a time.
You can do it.
Rooting for ya,
What do you think? Can you save your marriage from divorce? How?
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.